Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Bullshitness of the NBA

I'm watching an NBA game tonight and I notice that they have an extended "paint" area that is wider than the normal "paint" apparently designed for players to stand while waiting for a player to shoot foul shots. Now, I'm watching this game, which pains me, because the NBA has lost it's way as far as enforcing the rules, and a player is shooting a foul shot and before he even releases the ball, almost everyone is in the paint, trying to get the rebound. So.........instead of enforcing the rule that's on the books, that a player may not enter the paint prior to release of the ball, they change the paint to make up for it??? Huh? That's ludicrous.

Basketball had a beauty and was intended to be a gentlemanly game that rewarded hard work and good fair play. A player had a right to proceed to the basket, but not if an opponent was already standing there. It actually reflected life and should still. If I have an opportunity to go in a certain direction and there is no one in my way, I have every right to do this. If someone is in my way, I must then go around him. Now, if someone is in my way, I must be like Shaq and push and push and push him until I reach my destination. The Bully, now, is the star, not the gifted player. It went from a game that rewarded good play, regardless of the size of the player, apart from the obvious disadvantage of lack of height, to rewarding those who would

No comments: