Friday, September 26, 2008

The Mets did not choke in 2008

I bet my son a week ago that the Mets would not make the playoffs. I said, "My five bucks against your 1 buck that they will not..." Up until last night, I believed that they would not make it. Last year, the offense choked because it was so great all yr. and failed down the stretch. This yr. the offense, most of the same players, produced, sometimes poorly, but they produced, sometimes bigtime! It is so hard for one part of the team to make up for the shitty part of the "other" team. Case in point: Giants. The Giants won the Superbowl (tm) by their defense. Their defense was SO dominant that they made up for Eli's average shit (that's another blog).
I do not look at this yr. as a "choke job", because the Mets did not have a good bullpen. It is NOT on the offensive players. Clearly, there are some who are "choking" in the bullpen, namely: Heilmann Heilman. I feel very sorry for him as he has great stuff, but he looks so scared out there. The other pitchers just suck, except for Joe Smith, who really cares.

It's like bringing a car to the inspection station and you are hoping to God that he doesn't notice that your emergency brake doesn't work and your turn signals, etc., the Mets have so many holes, but so many opportunities for "miracle greatness".

This group is SO beat up mentally. I am not upset if they don't make it. I love them all. Even Delgado, who I bashed so bad, who has now been great. Tomorrow's another game to try to get back into contention.

No comments: